Prime Numbers and Lucky Primes
I’ve always loved prime numbers, especially lucky primes. One of the coping mechanisms I frequently use to deal with anxiety is to generate lists of prime numbers in my head.
- Create a list of consecutive integers.
- Let p=2 initially. 2 is the first prime number (1 doesn’t count).
- Starting from p, count up in increments of p and cross out those numbers.
- Find the next highest number in the list not previously crossed off, and count up by multiples of that number, crossing off each as you come to it.
- Repeat step 4 until there are no more numbers to cross off.
- The remaining numbers are prime.
Here’s an animation (courtesy wikipedia) that demonstrates this process:
There is also a set…
View original post 149 more words